Friday, October 30, 2009

NCAA Big Game Pick 'Em - Week 8

Ok, so, I have a question to ask of you. When you think of this college football season, is there one team that sticks out to you as being the best in America?

Florida? Had trouble with struggling Tennessee and Tim Tebow hasn’t been Superman yet, even before his concussion.

Alabama? Defensively, they’re the best in the country, but, besides Mark Ingram (who should be the leading candidate for the Heisman, if the media wasn’t so Tebow-crazy), they’ve struggled to score points (see: 20 points against South Carolina and 12 last week against Tennessee).

Texas? Honestly, they haven’t been tested yet. Sure, you can say they played Oklahoma and won, which is true, and that IS a good win, but they didn’t play well at all. The Longhorns desperately need Colt McCoy to emerge as a Heisman favorite, or their season could end this week against Oklahoma State.

I’ve heard a lot recently about how the best team in the country could be TCU. I tend to agree, but only because I think TCU is the best “team” in the country, not the best group of individual athletes (hello, USC). Gosh, I’d love to see a Boise State/TCU or Cincinnati National Championship game, wouldn’t you?

So after that rant, here are the picks for this week. The late games are going to be wonderful television, especially that game in Autzen.

Mississippi Rebels – 27 Auburn Tigers – 13

Auburn’s lost three straight, and I don’t think playing Jevan Snead and the Rebels will help their cause. My how the Tigers have fallen; they were 5-0 and ranked in the top 25 and then completely collapsed after a blowout loss to Arkansas. Side note: Arkansas really has something in Ryan Mallett, I’m thinking Heisman contender in two years. The kid can really play.

Oregon State Beavers – 24 UCLA Bruins – 20

I’ve gone with UCLA way to much this year, and I’m not going to do it again, especially with as badly as the Bruins have played in Pac 10 play.

Kentucky Wildcats – 27 Mississippi State Bulldogs– 17

Kentucky hasn’t been too bad recently, and after the ‘Dogs took Florida to the brink last week, I’m thinking a letdown is coming for MSU.

Tennessee Volunteers – 17 South Carolina Gamecocks – 9

The upset of the week, for sure. Tennessee has been this close to being an absolute force in the SEC. And I think this is the week Lane Kiffin finally gets his first huge SEC victory. Plus, the Gamecocks haven’t been able to score much at all recently, so I think Eric Berry has a field day.

Texas Longhorns – 31 Oklahoma State Cowboys – 20

Ok, Colt, let’s go. Time to pick up the slack and live up to the (my) hype. This is the week that Colt 45 goes off and puts himself right back on top of the Heisman watch. And solidifies the Horns as one of, if not the best team in the country.

Oregon Ducks – 28 USC Trojans – 27

Look, I picked the Neon Uni’s to win the Pac 10, I didn’t jump off the bandwagon after all that ugliness at Boise, and I’m not about to turn back now. They’re still top two in talent in the whole conference, and I think they’ll show it in primetime Saturday night. I think Brent Musberger will be announcing the game, which of course means I get to listen to his signature calls.

“McCoy…ZIPS IT to the outside...to the roommate…Jordan Shipley…the senior…from El Paso, Texas…says…take THAT”

(after the player is already celebrating the touchdown with his team) “ENDZONNNNEEE…TOUCHDOWN”

“Powerful run…up the middle…seventeen yards…and Herbie, the line opened some holes on that play…BREAK it down”

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment