Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Last Weekend's Recap and NCAA Big Game Pick 'Em - Week 3


In my opinion, last weekend was the official start to the sporting year; NFL action began and there were great games in both the professional and college games, while I completely forgot that baseball was still in the regular season (come on, guys, what are you doing over there at MLB?). In the NCAA, I was a perfect 5-0, which I haven't stopped bragging about since. I'm especially excited at just how I was perfect. Take a look at what I predicted for the USC/OSU game last week.

"I say Barkley leads the game winning touchdown drive with under two minutes left and
continues the Big-Ten woe in big games."

Well, folks, it doesn't get any better than that: A perfect week. Don't expect it to happen again. Otherwise, in college football there was a remarkably high number of fantastic games last Saturday. From Michigan's win over Notre Dame (one of the best games of the year, no doubt, and one of the best final calls I've heard in a while) to UCLA beating Tennessee to USC/Ohio State, this past weekend proved to be what we waited for all summer and then some. But the beauty of fall weekends is when Saturdays leave you wanting more, Sundays bring it. And Sundays bring it hard.
When the NFL kicked off and I opened my "Fantasycast" on ESPN, I was in sports heaven. Unfortunately, my Sunday got off to a horrible start and ended just as poorly (at least on the fantasy side of things, that is). I finished the weekend 1-3-1 in my five fantasy leagues, not once finishing with more than 71 points. It was one of the worst overall weeks of my fantasy career, so I can only go up from here and I went 9-7 in my picks against the spread, so I'm in desperate need of a rebound week in all NFL aspects.
Anyway, here are my college football picks for this week (NFL to come later):

Miami Hurricanes - 37 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets- 33

After Miami played another of the best games of the year against Florida State, the Hurricanes got a week off to prepare for the Jackets, who barely survived Clemson last Thursday. Jacory Harris was marvelous in the opening week win, and I expect him to be on his game again in a high-scoring ACC slugfest. Against GT's stellar triple option, Miami's defense is going to get run on, sure, but the key will be keeping the ball out of the hands of the Tech offense, and I think Miami and Harris can do just that.

Nebraska Cornhuskers - 21 Virginia Tech Hokies - 13
Oregon Ducks - 27 Utah Utes - 17
Michigan State Spartans - 30 Notre Dame Fighting Irish - 27
Brigham Young Cougars - 40 Florida State Seminoles - 24
Auburn Tigers - 24 West Virginia Mountaineers - 20

Last week: 5-0
Overall: 6-1
I appreciate you. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment