Saturday, December 12, 2009

My Heisman Pick

     Can you think of a Heisman race that has ever been this wide-open? Seriously, the award could go to any of the five finalists, and I think that makes for great TV...anyway, I'm not even sure I have a guess as to who will win (I might by the time I finish this article, but my pick will change three times today).  So, let's break it down.


The Legacy
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida Gators
Passing: 182/279 (65%), 2,413 yds, 18 TD, 5 INT
Rushing: 203 rush, 859 yds, 13 TD


I'm not saying Tebow isn't a great football player, because he is.  But if he wins his second Trophy, it will be the travesty of all travesties. Honestly, he has been just a mediocre version of his 2007 - and even his 2008 - self, he just happens to be the best player on the formerly-best-team-in-the-country.  Side note: That argument for the Heisman winner is complete garbage.  Why should whether or not you're 12-0 or 11-1 make any difference whether you win the award? If his name wasn't Tim Tebow he wouldn't even be invited (enter, Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State).



The Star with No Shot
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska Huskers
87 tackles, 47 solo, 12 sacks, 12 quarterbacks who crapped their pants when playing him


That last stat is unofficial, of course.  Suh has been phenomenal all year, but no one outside of college football diehards and Nebraska fans really knew who he was.  Until last week, that is.  Good ol' Colt is one of those twelve QB's who need new pants.  Four sacks and much havoc reeked on a team who is playing for the National Championship.  We saw more ridiculous individual performances this year that we've ever seen before, and that was certainly one of them.



The Trendy Gunslinger
Colt McCoy, QB, Texas Longhorns
Passing: 330/468 (70%), 3,512 yds, 27 TD, 12 INT
Rushing: 128 rush, 327 yds, 3 TD


Ladies and gentlemen, a quarterback should not win the Heisman this year. Even though I picked Colt 45 to win it in the preseason, voters usually love quarterbacks from Nat'l Championship-caliber teams, and was hoping he'd have a Heisman-type game against Nebraska last week, we've already established that he did not (see: Suh, Ndamukong).  McCoy was another QB who didn't come close to his 2008 stats, and that (should) hurt him in the voting.  I would be extremely surprised if he wins the award, but then again I've been surprised before (hello, Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald).



The Sleeper
Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford Cardinal
Rushing: 311 rush, 1,736 yds, 26 TD
Receiving: 10 rec, 149 yds


I sure hope you saw Toby run wild over Notre Dame, because if you didn't, wow, you missed out on one of the finest performances of the year.  Just a little taste. Kid's an absolute beast, and he is absolutely deserving of winning tonight.  He leads the country in yards and touchdowns (and I'm told he's a stellar student at Stanford, of all places).  If you've never watched him play first-hand, you probably think he's a nobody. But let me tell you, he will be drafted higher than Tebow in the NFL draft next April, you can bet on it.



The Winner
Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
Rushing: 249 rush, 1,542 yds, 15 TD
Receiving: 30 rec, 322 yds, 3 TD


I struggled with this pick, even as I wrote the Gerhart paragraph, and I know in an hour I'll change my mind.  Ingram has been more than incredible for 11 games, and, most importantly, was huge in the blowout of Florida which made Tebow cry and Urban Meyer dehydrate himself so he could feel more pain (I kid, I kid).  He, like Gerhart, is not flashy (like a Reggie Bush), but he is an extremely dangerous running back who will beat you up and knock you down whenever he wants to.

Want to know how close the top two are (and not just in my head)? On ESPN.com's "Heisman Watch," the panel of voters wound up giving Ingram and Gerhart 77 points each.  So, if it's a tie there, and it's basically a tie in my head too, can't we just have them suit up and run at each other full-speed?  I say the one who knocks the other one backward is the winner.

Good idea?

Thanks for reading, enjoy the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment